3 Immunity boosting recipes
Keep going with immunity boosters to help keep your health in check
Thymus Support: Simple Stir Fry
The thymus is a gland that produces antibodies and T cells, both play an important role in keeping you healthy. The vitamin B6, vitamin C and zinc found in this recipe will keep your thymus working properly.
1 tablespoon sesame oil
6 shrimp, deveined, shell removed
¼ cup chopped broccoli
¼ cup sliced bell peppers (red, yellow, orange, green or a mix)
¼ cup sliced white mushrooms
¼ cup sliced carrots
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon minced ginger
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
1/3 cup cooked brown rice
- Heat the sesame oil in a pan on the stove over medium-high heat. Add the cleaned shrimp and cook until pink.
- Add the broccoli, peppers, mushrooms and carrots and cook until tender.
- Add the garlic and ginger, cooking just until aromatic.
- Toss the mixture with the soy sauce and vinegar and serve over cooked brown rice.
Spleen Support: Green & Red Salad
The spleen plays a major role in immunity by producing white blood cells, destroying bacteria and cleaning the blood. Recipes high in produce, like this salad, gives the spleen the boost it needs.
1 cup chopped lettuce
½ cup watercress
2 radishes, sliced
1 tomato, chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
1 clove garlic, minced
Salt and pepper
3 ounces of cooked turkey breast
- In a large bowl combine lettuce, watercress, radishes and tomato.
- In a separate bowl, combine the oil, vinegar and garlic. Pour over vegetables, season with salt and pepper to taste and toss.
- Top with cooked turkey and serve.
Antioxidant Immune Support: Power Smoothie
Antioxidants found in many fruits and vegetables, especially berries, have been known to help keep the immune system as a whole healthy. This power-packed smoothie will kick-start you into healthy living.
1 cup chopped flat leaf kale
¾ cup frozen mixed berries (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and/or blackberries)
¾ cup apple juice
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend on high speed. Stir with a spoon and continue to blend until smooth (if the mixture isn’t blending down well, add a little more juice).
Source – June’s Health Smarts article (p. 54) and Pn Online